Can coQ10 aid your weight loss efforts?
January 12. 2022
Before we get into the benefits of coQ10 and how it can aid your weight loss, let’s see what it is. CoQ10, or coenzyme Q10, is a fat-soluble compound produced by the human body. This is what sets it apart from a vitamin, even though they have similar functions. CoQ10 is unique because of its ability to assist the production of Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP), which is the body’s fuel. It also protects cell membranes and blood when acting as an antioxidant.
Although our bodies produce it, a significant percentage of coQ10 levels come from dietary intake. The best food sources are organs such as the heart, liver, and kidneys from beef, pork, lamb. It is also found in eggs and fish. Vegetarians and vegans need not despair, as it can be found in nuts, seeds, oils, and vegetables such as spinach and broccoli.
Because its production decreases with age and with some health conditions, and even though it can be found in food, supplementing with coq10 is sometimes necessary.
Another reason for supplementing with coQ10 is because it is easily affected by the heat from cooking. Therefore, it is best to get it from raw foods, but the best sources are not recommended to be eaten raw.
Benefits of coenzyme Q10
CoQ10 has plenty of benefits. As already mentioned, it is a well-known antioxidant. Antioxidants are compounds that neutralize damaged particles known as free radicals to protect your cells from damage.
Other well-known benefits are:
- It is good for your skin. Your skin is constantly exposed to sun, wind, and cold, which damages it day by day. It also gets damaged by aging. The skin loses its elasticity and collagen. Applying coQ10 directly on your skin can reduce damage and give your skin its elasticity back.
- It reduces headaches. Excessive mitochondrial function can lead to excessive production of free radicals, decreased antioxidant protection, and increased calcium uptake by the cells. It leads to low energy in the brain cells and migraines. CoQ10 improves mitochondrial function and helps decrease the inflammation that occurs during migraines.
- It helps with exercise performance. Excessive mitochondrial function can also lead to oxidative stress that reduces muscle energy. So, coQ10 can decrease oxidative stress in the cells and improve their functions.
- It is good for the brain. The primary energy generators of brain cells are mitochondria. CoQ10 has an impact on increasing mitochondrial function and protects brain cells from oxidative damage.
- It helps lower your blood pressure. High blood pressure places stress on your circulatory system, contributing to cardiovascular disease. CoQ10 aids in treatment by restoring optimal energy production levels, reducing oxidative damage, and improving heart function.
- It improves energy levels. CoQ10 improves the ability of your heart to pump more blood. It also lowers the viscosity of the blood, which makes the heart pump easier. It is also very supportive of the immune system, as it multiples the level of antibodies, which help your body cope with viruses better. A healthier body has more energy.
How does coQ10 help with weight loss?
The results tend to be a bit mixed when it comes to weight loss and coQ10. Some studies show the coQ10 weight loss impact on animals, but no evidence proves the impact on human bodies. Because of its role in enhancing cellular energy, it is marketed for weight loss.
Coenzyme Q10 is necessary for a part of the Krebs cycle, a series of chemical reactions that turns fat and glucose into ATP. CoQ10 acts like the electron transport chain. When fat stored in cells breaks down into fatty acids that turn into acetyl CoA molecules, coQ10 binds with them and helps transport them throughout the Krebs cycle.
CoQ10 also stimulates an enzyme that controls energy balance in cells, reducing fat accumulation that can lead to obesity and diabetes. It may also reduce the risk of metabolic syndrome, which is also linked to obesity and diabetes.
CoQ10 affects weight loss by optimizing the way cells use energy. This coenzyme accelerates BMR, basal metabolic rate, so your body burns more calories at rest. CoQ10 contributes to lipolysis in a few ways:
- Boosts up the activity of certain metabolic pathways
- Decreases oxidative stress levels
- Improves lipid metabolism
- Activates lipolysis
- Inhibits lipogenesis
Supplementing with coQ10 stimulates your body’s natural lipolysis and reduces overall weight. Besides coQ10, supplementing with phentermine for weight loss is very popular. It is used to suppress appetite by increasing the levels of neurotransmitters in your brain.
How much should you take per day?
There is no set rule, but a typical dosage is up to 1200mg per day for adults. The dosage depends on age, health condition, gender, and purpose.
Forms of coQ10 supplementation
Coenzyme Q10 comes in two forms: ubiquinone and ubiquinol. When ubiquinone is taken orally, once it reaches the lymphatic circulation, it gets converted into ubiquinol, which is the active form of the supplement. When ubiquinol is taken, it has to be converted to ubiquinone first, and when it reaches the circulation, it gets converted back to ubiquinol. They both have the same effect, but their efficiency differs for different ages—another reason to consult a professional. Our weight loss clinic is just a call away, and you can schedule your consultation now.
Taking supplements without medical approval might cause side effects. Supplementing with coQ10 for weight loss seems safe; however, you have to be cautious. Get permission from your physician if you plan on supplementing with it.
To sum up, coQ10 has been shown to affect your body positively. It improves heart health, blood sugar regulation, reduces the frequency of migraines, and can assist in your weight loss journey. But it is essential to realize that it is not a “cure,” and you can benefit from it if you are actually deficient in coQ10.
Sometimes, you may not be allowed to take coQ10 as a supplement to aid your weight loss because of some health conditions. There are medical treatments that target excess fat from your body and boost your metabolic activity. They are called lipo B and lipo C injection treatments.
Our clinic has a history of patients who achieved their weight loss goals, so feel free to join them and schedule your appointment today.
ABW Daily Deals
View Our Current Deals
Save On A Better Weigh Products And Services Or Purchase A Gift Card.Find Out More