Does cold water make you fat?
March 14. 2022
Staying hydrated is beneficial for your mental and physical health. Drinking water is excellent for your body, overall health, and weight. Experts suggest you drink at least half a gallon of water a day to maintain regular body functions. At our weight loss clinic, we get a lot of questions, like does it matter if the water is cold, warm, or room temperature? Does drinking cold water make you lose more weight, or does it make you fat? And how does warm water affect your weight loss? Let’s find out.
Benefits of warm water
Room temperature or lukewarm water has numerous benefits:
- Improves digestion – Drinking warm water before a meal can boost your metabolism and speed up the digestion process.
- Improves mood – Drinking warm water can uplift your mood and make you more friendly.
- Helps remove toxins – A glass of warm water before a meal doesn’t just boost your metabolism and digestion but also helps remove toxins from the body.
- Relief from constipation – Having a glass of water on an empty stomach can help regulate bowel movement. If you repeat and follow this for a couple of days, you can break away from the suffering of constipation.
Benefits of cold water
Drinking cold water also has its benefits, but drinking it while having a cold or flu is probably not a great idea. On the other hand, here’s what it can do for your weight loss:
- A great workout partner – Drinking cold water while working out can help keep your body from overheating and can make the workout session more successful.
- It eases pain and helps you stay alert – Because there are sensors just under our skin, drinking cold water activates them, which increases your heart rate. That adds an adrenaline rush that keeps you alert and mentally ready. Adrenaline not only uplifts your mind but also increases the body’s tendency to bear the pain.
- Boosts metabolism – Having a cup of cold water on an empty stomach in the morning can significantly boost your metabolism. And we all know that better metabolism can lead to weight loss.
General tips for drinking water
- It’s found that water increases metabolism, so you should drink it more often, not just when you feel thirsty.
- Water helps transport oxygen from and to your heart, reducing the risk of a heart attack. And we all know that if the heart is healthy, you have less chance for other diseases and any heart-related disease.
- Drinking plenty of water boosts brain power and helps reduce stress levels. When the oxygen reaches an optimal level, it positively impacts your mental health and helps you think better.
- Drinking water positively impacts your skin as a larger amount of water makes your skin more elastic and makes you look younger.
- It is also suitable for detoxing your body because the more water you drink, the more you urinate and get the toxins out of your body.
- Having a cup of water before your meal can reduce appetite, leading to losing weight.
Does cold water make you lose or gain fat?
The theory that cold water can make you lose fat faster doesn’t sound unreal when you think about it. The logic behind it is that if you drink cold water on winter days, your body has to “work” more to elevate the water temperature, with body temperature leading to more fat burning.
But there is also logic in the opposite theory. That one says that drinking cold water during mealtime is unhealthy and can negatively impact your weight loss journey. The explanation behind it is that consuming cold water while eating significantly lowers your body temperature. Your body will do all it can to get back to the normal temperature and keep a steady one. That way, the body uses all its energy on that instead of using it to digest the food you just had.
Another theory says that drinking cold water thickens your mucus and aggravates cold, especially in the winter when warm water offers respite from the cold. And there are many more. So which one should you believe?
The human body wants to maintain homeostasis. It tends to keep the internal temperature relatively constant regardless of what happens on the outside. That’s why your body sweats when you’re hot to cool the body down and shivers when you’re cold to heat the body.
The body control system is continually working to ensure the body temperature doesn’t rise above or drop below normal. Our bodies self-regulate to keep us safe. So, when we drink cold water, the system starts to work and adapts the temperature of the water to what is safe, so by the time it gets to the circulatory system, it is at the regular body’s temperature.
So if someone says that cold water does make you fat, it can be another lazy excuse and a way of blaming something else for being overweight.
If you’re looking for options to lose more fat, you can try some of our most effective programs like Lipo C injection.
No matter what diet you follow, water is not an enemy, and it can accompany any fasting-mimicking diet recipes to boost the diet’s effects. As you can see from the lists above, warm water has a few more health benefits than cold water. But when it comes to weight loss and does cold or hot water make you fat or lose fat – the temperature of the water doesn’t really matter. What matters is to drink plenty of it.
Water has no calories, so it can’t make you gain fat. Moreover, it is good for you, your body, and your health, so drink it at any temperature you like. Water is an essential part of your body, and it makes up more than 70 percent of our bodies. No evidence proves whether hot or cold water accelerates the weight loss process. If you’re trying to lose weight and looking for a perfect plan and program for you, schedule your call with us today, and we will find a solution together.
ABW Daily Deals
View Our Current Deals
Save On A Better Weigh Products And Services Or Purchase A Gift Card.Find Out More