Do protein drink meal replacements really work?
November 15. 2021
Protein is a highly reputable macronutrient – for a good reason. It’s vital for numerous processes in your body and can significantly aid your weight loss because it keeps you satiated while containing a low amount of calories. Protein shakes are also essential for many athletes and gym-goers looking to grow their muscles, but they’ve recently become a burning topic among dieters who are using them as a meal replacement. Some people find them effective and beneficial, while others disagree – but as with any other meal replacement, it’s essential to read the labels before using them to replace your meal of choice. Here’s what you’ll need to know on the subject:
What should a protein drink meal replacement contain to aid your weight loss?
A protein drink meal replacement can either be store-bought or homemade. Either way, it’s pretty convenient because it can be consumed when you’re in a hurry. A pre-purchased protein shake is ready to drink and can be an excellent solution when you’re on the go and trying to avoid fast food. However, it’s vital you understand the labels and learn which ingredients work in your favor. Homemade protein drink meal replacements are typically made with some protein powder, water, or milk of your choice, and sometimes other ingredients such as fruit and nuts.
These often turn out to be a better choice, as you’re fully in control of what goes in. Although protein should be the star of your meal replacement drink, you can also add whole foods or nuts to enhance its nutritional value. For example, you can mix a dose of powder protein with a banana, some Greek yogurt, and a handful of frozen berries to get a full meal replacement drink. Follow this checklist to make yourself a high-quality and nutritious meal replacement shake:
- Use your liquid of choice: it could be full-fat milk, non-dairy options, Greek yogurt, or simply water.
- Add a scoop of powder protein: although whey protein works best, you can also find some fantastic vegan options.
- Add some healthy fats: nuts, chia or flax seeds, avocado, and coconut oil are all excellent choices.
- Don’t forget the carbs: they ensure you get a suitable portion of the fiber in your protein drink meal replacement so that you can pick your fruit of choice, oats, and other types of grains.
How to use a protein drink meal replacement
A protein shake made as we described above should be used to replace one of your meals fully. Which meal you choose to replace is up to you and your personal preferences; some people use these shakes as a convenient on-the-go breakfast, while others find them beneficial to prevent late-night dinners and snacks. Switching to this diet mode can be challenging for some people; many choose to have a regular meal right after they’ve had a protein meal replacement shake, which only causes them to exceed their recommended calorie intake. That’s why it’s essential to train your self-discipline and prevent yourself from indulging in a full-size meal soon after you’ve had your meal replacement. We recommend you try each option out and find the one that’s most convenient for you. In case you continue feeling hungry after you’ve had your meal replacement, you may consider using appetite suppressants.
Benefits of a protein drink meal replacement
A protein drink meal replacement can bring numerous benefits for your weight loss. The most obvious one is its high protein content, which keeps you full for longer and helps your muscles recover and grow. Since losing weight sometimes causes your body to lose some muscle mass, this is a significant benefit. Other pros of consuming a protein drink meal replacement include:
- Satisfying sweet cravings. Because protein shakes are typically sweet, they can successfully curb your cravings when you’re trying to lose weight. You can find different flavors, including chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, banana, etc.
- Increasing your protein intake. As mentioned earlier, the ways protein enhances your overall well-being are virtually countless. Still, some of the most critical benefits protein brings to your weight loss include: preventing hunger attacks and cravings, helping your muscles grow, and speeding up metabolism and fat burning processes. If you feel like you could use an additional metabolism boost, you should consider taking lipo C injections as well.
- Ensuring you get all the nutrients. Supplying your body with all the nutrients it needs throughout the day is sometimes challenging, especially if you’re used to eating out. Protein drink meal replacements (whether they’re store-bought or homemade) typically contain proper amounts of vitamins, minerals, and macronutrients to help you preserve and improve your health.
- Lowering your calorie intake. Starving yourself to achieve a calorie deficit is not advisable and can sometimes be dangerous. If you opt for a suitable protein meal replacement shake, you can nurture your body while still remaining in a calorie deficit.
Protein drink meal replacement can be an excellent aid to your weight loss program, but it’s important to remember they’re not for everyone. If you’re thinking about replacing some of your meals with protein-packed shakes, we strongly advise you to consult your physician first. Here at our weight loss clinic, we suggest our patients try replacing one of their meals with a protein drink, but only after conducting thorough medical examination and considering their current health condition. To succeed with this diet mode, you’ll need to stay disciplined and have the willpower to stick to it until you reach your goal. Many people fail to lose weight using protein drink meal replacement because they give up too soon. In case you need additional information regarding the subject, don’t hesitate to contact us.
ABW Daily Deals
View Our Current Deals
Save On A Better Weigh Products And Services Or Purchase A Gift Card.Find Out More